Vanarama National League South

Concord Rangers 2

Braintree Town 2

HT 0-1

The Beachboys had to be satisfied with a point after this hard-fought battle with recently relegated Braintree Town.

Concord started off the brighter of the two sides, pressing the Iron who were playing it out from the back and trying to work their way forward. The Beachboys seemed to be able to control each attack early on and were creating plenty of chances on the counter, including a goalmouth scramble that was cleared at the last minute, and a mistake from the ‘keeper which left an open goal but saw the ball sail wide.

Braintree started to eek out some chances of their own, and after one shot was sent soaring over the bar, Jason Banton saw his speculative shot sail past Haigh in the Beachboys goal. While this was against the run of play, things became more difficult for Concord Rangers soon after as Jack Cawley was shown a red card for his challenge on Tom Richardson. In the ensuing melee, Lee Minshull also saw red from the bench.

Concord started the second half the same way they started the first, pressing the visitors and creating chances to equalise, even with a man short. And equalise they did when Decarrey Sheriff got his head to a well worked cross from Lamar Reynolds and placed it into the back of the net.

The Beachboys continued to press and try to get another goal, but it was the visitors who again took the lead 15 minutes later through Ade Cole when he found space in the 6 yard box to slam the ball home.

The game wasn’t over yet though, the Beachboys never know when to give up, and they were going all out to equalise as the game reached its final minutes. The final roll of the dice for Concord was an 86th minute sub, bringing on the big man Sanusi for Olufemi, sacrificing defence for attack. It proved to be an inspired sub, as from the throw-in immediately after the sub Sanusi headed the ball into the path of Aron Pollock, who finished with all the talent of a top striker to level the game up.

A couple of chances were squandered by both sides over the final minutes, and the final whistle blew to see the points shared, both teams disappointed they were unable to get the win.

Match Report by Alan Jessup-Peacock