Concord Rangers vs Chelmsford City

Tuesday 4th February 2020

On Tuesday, Concord Rangers welcomed Chelmsford city back to the Aspect Arena for the second time this season. The last time the two sides met was back in August at the beginning of the season, where it was the beachboys who came out on top, claiming all 3 points after beating the clarets 2-1 in a league match. On this occasion, the clash marked the quarter final of the Essex Senior Cup, with both sides wanting to progress to the semi finals.

Concords starting XI included Chris Haigh, Nathan Carlyle, Michael O’Donoghue, Ben Wells, Aron Pollock, Jack Cawley, Danny Green, Kreshnic Krasniqi, Decarrey Sheriff, Henry Woods and Lamar Reynolds. The substitutes were Joel Nouble, Kit Elliot, James Blanchfield, Lee Minshul and Archie McFadden.

There was early action with both teams attacking in the opening minutes, with Reynolds making a run down the left before making a cross into the box, which was claimed by the Chelmsford goalkeeper. 5 minutes in, Chelmsford put the ball into the back of the net, however the goal did not stand as the linesman signalled for offside.

Soon after, Pollock played a brilliant ball across the pitch from defence towards Reynolds on the left wing, who took the ball down and made a driving run in towards the penalty area. The Chelmsford centre back made a great tackle to send the ball out for a corner. The ball was sent into the area but was eventually cleared by the clarets. Both teams appeared to create attacking chances, but there was not much to challenge either goalkeeper.

At the 30 minute mark Concord managed to take the lead after Sheriff took advantage of a defensive mistake, winning the ball before taking it around the goalkeeper and passing it into the back of the net with ease.

The first half was an even battle for both teams, with each side coming close towards the end of the half. Green’s long distance attempt on goal was driven wide of the post, and soon after the clarets had a free kick which was sent in from the right, the beachboys did well to clear in and maintain the lead.

Half Time: Concord Rangers 1-0 Chelmsford City

Chelmsford had an opportunity early in the second half after winning a free kick on the edge of the penalty area. Muldoon’s shot was initially on target however the ball deflected off of the Concord wall and went out for a corner.

Minutes later, Reynolds made another great run down the left and into the box, before making a shot that was driven narrowly wide of the post.

The beachboys continued their positive attacking play, and eventually was able to extend their lead after the ball found Kit Elliot in the box, who was able to place the ball into the back of the net with one of his first touches of the game after replacing Decarrey Sheriff.

Haigh was able to maintain the clean sheet after making two brilliant saves late in the game, one of which was from a Chelmsford free kick on the edge of the penalty area, and the other was a reflex save following a close range attempt from the striker.

Full Time: Concord Rangers 2-0 Chelmsford City

A very impressive performance from the beachboys sees them through to the semifinals of the Essex Senior Cup, where they will travel away to Dagenham & Redbridge. Now, we set our sights onto one of the biggest games in the club’s history as Leamington FC come to the Aspect Arena for the FA Trophy round of 16 on Saturday 8th February 2020.

Millie Hawkins