The Beachboys welcomed top of the table Truro City to the Aspect Arena on a sunny afternoon on Concord Island.

It was Concord who came blistering out of the traps and it was only magnificent defending on the goal-line to stop the Beachboys taking the lead in the first minute.  Jordan Cox latched onto a through ball and wriggled his way past the advancing McHale in the Truro goal, Cox side-footed his shot at goal, but a despairing slide on the line by Palfrey cleared the goal-bound shot.

After that explosive start, the 1st half was a cagey affair.  Both sides could not break through either sides backline, in fact it was only Andrew Neal the Truro centre forward whose electric pace was causing problems.  His pace got him in plenty of good positions, but he seemed to have left his shooting boots at home.

There wasn’t much to write about the 1st half. So I will end there.

Half Time

Concord Rangers 0

Truro City 0

If the 1st half was dull, the second half was anything but! Truro won a hotly disputed penalty on forty-seven minutes.  There was a cross into the box, the referee deliberated but then he finally pointed to the spot.  It was that man Neal who took the penalty, but Louis Wells in the Concord goal pulled off an astounding save to his left hand side.  It was a brilliant penalty stop.

The visitors were made to pay for that penalty miss, as Concord opened the scoring after fifty-three minutes.  Lewis Taaffe found himself unmarked ten yards out from the Truro goal, he took one touch with his knee and then he lashed the ball into the bottom corner.  In a tight match, Concord took a priceless lead.

The game settled into the tight affair of the 1st half, Concord were digging in but had the threat of Cawley and Taaffe up front.  The visitors threw caution to the wind, and made three attacking changes.  The three player’s coming on Thompson, Keats and Yetton would each play a major role in the final outcome of the match.

Wells again excelled himself on sixty-seven minutes, as Ben Gerring the Truro captain was up from the back, and he stabbed a shot at goal from twelve yards, Wells flung himself and tipped the shot expertly over the bar.

As we moved into the final ten minutes, Concord were clinging on, as Truro threw caution to the wind as they had four player’s in attacking positions at all times.  This all out attack approach paid off on eighty-four minutes with the equaliser. The ball fell to substitute Keats in the box, and he fired off a low shot into the far corner.  This time Wells had no answer. Truro well level.

Truro had the wind in their sails and they took the lead two minutes, it was Thompson another sub who put in a great cross to the far post…and the other sub Yetton headed home. Truro had given Concord a double sucker punch.

Concord though are made of stern stuff. It’s in their make-up.  They never know when they’re beat. So as the clock moved into added time, Concord were not beat.  It was the old double-act Cawley and Taaffe who linked up in the ninety-fourth minute.  Cawley brought the ball down, and glided past the Truro defence he played in Lewis Taaffe, who didn’t panic and fired in a low shot into the bottom corner. Concord were level!

The referee blew his whistle to end an entertaining second half, and despite the late drama a draw was probably a fair result.


Concord Rangers 2 (Taaffe 53, 94)

Truro City 2 (Keats 84, Yetton 87)


Wells, Girdlestone, Brown (Da Costa 87), Lee (Peter 67mins), King, Roast, Taaffe, Nasha, Cox (Topley 50mins), Cawley (c), Farrell

Sub not used – Knight