Concord Rangers vs Weymouth

Saturday 18th January 2020

On Saturday Concord Rangers took on Weymouth for the second time this season in the Vanarama National League South. The first time these 2 sides met back in September it was Weymouth who claimed the 3 points after beating the beachboys 3-0, prior to this game they sat 8 points above Concord in 5th place.

The Concord starting 11 consisted of; Chris Haigh, David Olufemi, Michael O’Donoghue, Ben Wells, Aron Pollock, Billy Roast, Lamar Reynolds, Kreshnic Krasniqi, Kit Elliot, Henry Woods and Joel Nouble. The substitutes were; Alex Hernandez, Decarrey Sheriff, Nathan Carlyle, Ben Search and Lee Minshull.

The beachboys got off to a very positive start, with Olufemi having the first chance of the game as his shot from the edge of the penalty area went just wide and bounced off of the side netting. This was shortly followed by a Weymouth opportunity as the low driven shot from Williams flew wide of the goal.

It didn’t take long for Olufemi to find himself forwards again, as his shot was sent just over. There was end to end action throughout the half with both teams creating goalscoring opportunities. In the 21st minute Weymouth almost took the lead after the ball was played down the right hand side of the pitch and sent in towards the striker who found himself one-on-one with Haigh, but the Concord goalkeeper made a brilliant save to keep the ball out. The beachboys then went straight on to attack as O’Donoghue dribbled the ball into the box and cut it back into the middle, but unfortunately there was nobody on the end of it to put it in the back of the net.

In the 32nd minute there was a huge missed opportunity from Weymouth as Odubade found himself one on one with Haigh on the edge of the six yard box, however his shot was fired wide. Shortly after, Weymouth did take their chance as Baggie went through on goal and tapped it past Haigh into the bottom left corner of the goal.

The final opportunity of the half came in the 42nd minute as Nouble drove into the penalty area and went down, the referee did not call for a penalty, but the ball eventually fell to Woods whose shot went over the crossbar.

Half Time: Concord Rangers 0-1 Weymouth

After quite a quiet start to the second half, the beachboys managed to equalise in the 54th minute after O’Donoghue sent the ball into the box from a corner, which then ended up deflecting off of a defender and into the goal.

Weymouth responded very quickly, as 2 minutes later they regained the lead as Odubade scored past Haigh from a tight angle.

Billy Roast prevented Weymouth from extending their lead in the 60th minute after making two fantastic blocks from within the penalty area, he then later prevented another scoring opportunity after making a superb tackle in the box as the last man back.

Concord had even more chances going into the final 10 minutes of the match, with the closest coming from Krasniqi after the ball was laid off to him just outside of the box, and his rocket of a shot smashed against left post. Despite coming close a few more times, the beachboys were unable to put the ball in the back of the net.

Full Time: Concord Rangers 1-2 Weymouth

After an action-packed match, it was Weymouth who eventually came out on top and took all 3 points. Despite the loss, the beachboys showed a very positive performance and will look to take this forward into Tuesday’s FA Trophy rescheduled replay against Bath City, where they will hopefully be able to get back to winning ways and progress to the next round of the competition.

Millie Hawkins