Leighwood Yellow 1 vs 2 CONCORD u12

The 3rd meeting between these two sides this season this time in the Premier League Cup quarter final and Concord made it 3 wins from 3.. A fantastic achievement by this group of players in a very competitive season, but this is just another game as the managers regard it a successful season so far for a side that promised much, and are now delivering.

The game was an even match between similar sides.. But it was a couple of errors that led to Leighwood making an early break-through after 7 mins and took advantage of a lack of concentration and awareness by Concord allowing a cross from the left to reach the far post and slotted past Joe in goal..

However the boys continued to play and grow in confidence having more possession and in fact creating more chances against a strong wind. The Leighwood keeper keeping the score at 1-0. However after 20 mins and following several attacks and a few corners, a great opportunity fell to Romie who dispatched a classy finish into the net to equalise.

Half time 1-1 and looking reasonably even.

Second half Concord made a change moving Romie wide left and Nathan up front. The visiting midfield took a little time to adjust but eventually worked out who was marking who, and generally nullified Leighwood attacks.

Leighwood did go close though, when a loose ball fell to a forward in the box but shot un-challenged over the bar. Concord continued to create chances and today was not the day that for converting these.. Some good football saw a ball come low across from the left to the edge of the box where Ellis hit a difficult shot sweetly first time straight into the top corner, but the Leighwood keeper made a tremendous save diving to his right to push the ball over..

However after 55 mins Concord were awarded a free kick just over ½ way.. Romie took his time lining up, looking like Johnny Wilkinson weighing up a conversion attempt at Twickenham.. He eventually launched a long kick that floated long on the breeze. The Leighwood keeper again made a brave attempt to keep the ball out, pushing it onto the bar, but it dropped into the net to make it final score 1-2 to Concord.

Concord now meet Ecko Whitecaps in the SEMI FINAL in a few weeks’ time.