By Ben Reggione


Concord Vs Havant and Waterloovile FC, this was set up to be an interesting game from the off as Havant and Waterloovile have had a rough few games in the league, previously conceding two consecutive losses away and at home but had turned things around in midweek; unlike Concord who in the league, were coming off of the back of an emphatic 3-2 win against Chippenham to place them 3rd in the table. After a long coach journey up to the Draper Tools Community Stadium, spirits seemed to be high in the Concord camp, it was just down to how the game would turn out to be and if Concord could capitalise off of there previous league win, or could Havant & Waterloovile carry on from there midweek result. The question which was on everyones minds was, who would go on to win their second game on the bounce?

   As the lineups were announced, for the Concord fans to see Ben Allen starting after a great display of passion and attacking intent on his debut all would hope that he could continue with this. But for concord fans to see Billy Clifford for Havant, whose played for the likes of Royal Antwerp in the Belgian second division and to have occasional games at Chelsea, he would seem to shape up to be there man to make things happen in the centre of the pitch. After a few misjudged passes on behalf of concord from the first whistle a well put together attack from Havant and a well put in cross it saw them go one nil up in a matter of minutes. Soon after Havant’s header, Reid managed to weave his way through the oppositions offside trap but had failed to place the ball into the back of the net, making no dent on Concords deficit. Havant were seeming to be testing Concords goal yet Myles Roberts, on loan from Watford, did well to keep a lot of these chances out and away from danger, with a few leading to corners of which were also dealt with quite well. After a fair amount of chances going the oppositions way and with chances for Concord to level the score, Havants Jake McCarthy managed to cushion his header past everyone to make it 2-0 to the home-side just under thirty minutes being played. Things were needed to be changed for Concord, trying to work the ball through the centre wasn’t seeming to work nor was Concord successful in many attempts of attacks going down either flank, with the occasional ball through making it’s way through to the keeper to comfortably take in. It was imperative that Concord were to work the goal of Havants. With a third goal going in from Tommy Wright after a decent piece of build up for a little tap in, a goal in additional time was required in attempt to turn the game around. Babalola made his way onto the pitch for Concord with all hoping he could be the one to change the dimension of this game. But before an impact could be made, a goal from the penalty spot from Collins making it his second on the day put the home side four nil up as the half time whistle put play to a halt.

   With the second half off and on it’s way it was as if a new concord side had stepped on the pitch, there was a lot more emphasis on creating chances to make a dent in Havants lead, and within 10 minutes of coming on, Temi Babalola did just so making the scoreline now four one. From Concords opening goal in the second half it seemed to lift the sides attacking intent with players countering in there numbers and putting pressure on the defence, they were persistent in making back the three goals they needed to ensure the game stood level. Another change was made and it saw Peck make way for Blackman, Peck was doing well to win back second balls and open up chances for attacks but with a fresh set of legs on the pitch Blackman was our player which would have the ability to make change happen with him seeing how things were playing out from the bench, being able to analyse the game from a different perspective. Chances were now coming thick and fast for concord and it was Ben Allen ,with no surprise, putting away his chance in the seventy fourth minute to now make the scoreline four two and at this moment there was hope a few more things could go Concords way. It was evident the determination the Concord players had to make there way back into the game the ball was placed on the centre circle by Ben and the game commenced once again. In the eighty fifth minute Concords third and final sub was made seeing Ekpiteta come on for Blanchfeild. The game had now got to the point that everything Concord did was intended to lead to a goal, there was no time to comfortably play it about on the back line or to share the ball about in midfield. Two more goals was what was needed to gain a point out of the game. With 6 extra minutes added on it was what Concord needed but it also opened up possibilities that the current margin could changed; and after several more chances going in Concords favour a penalty went Havants way in the dying minutes, it was blasted down the centre with Roberts struggling to keep it out, the score was made five two and the final whistle was blown.

   It was obvious that the first half was in Havants favour with chances making there way into the back of Concords net but the second half was clearly dominated by Concord. As is every game of football, it was a game of two halves and each half was shared between both sides, Concord were unfortunate to have not had any more goals go in; but with this result I’m sure it will push them onwards to get all three points In there coming games. After this result it puts Concord fourth and Havant & Waterloovile ninth with two points behind them with two games in hand, each side which is below Concord do have games in hand which makes it more imperative that three points are gained. Onwards and upwards for the future.