Concord Rangers vs Wealdstone FC

FA Cup
September 30, 2014
Score: 2 - 0

Match Report

IT WAS a tale of two goalkeepers as Concord saw off the Stones on a night of high drama at the Aspect Arena, writes James Colasanti.

The worrying sight of home stopper Jamie Butler being carried off on a stretcher following a 46th minute collision with giant striker Enoch Showunmi was the one real down point for the Beachboys.

He was taken to hospital for damage caused by a clash of knees and his manager Danny Cowley admits it is a concern for a player who has just had his first call up for England C.

Of more pressing concern for Cowley at the time, though, was the lack of a back up keeper on the bench.

And so it fell to defender Jack Lampe to don the gloves and protect his side?s 2-0 lead for the second half against a team who were down to 10 men.

And Lampe ? who had done exactly the same by going in goal against the Stones in a 4-2 league win for Concord a fortnight ago ? played a crucial role between the sticks.

His 63rd minute claw away to keep out sub Shaun Lucien?s header was brilliant and his 87th minute block with his legs to save a low shot from the same player was just as important.

It was all part of an intriguing ? albeit goalless ? second half which finally ended after 11 minutes of injury time after the stoppage to treat Butler.

Concord?s Lewis Taaffe hit the post and team-mate Sam Collins? measured chip drew a back-tracking save out of Jonathan North.

The first-half precursor saw Concord take a 2-0 lead with two confidently dispatched penalties from Danny Glozier.

The first, on 14 minutes, was for a handball on the line by Luke O?Nien to block Steve Cawley?s goal-bound shot and saw the midfielder shown a straight red card.

The second, 10 minutes before the interval, was for a trip by James Hammond on Gary Ogilvie.

When the dust settled it all meant that Concord booked a date in the next round with Winchester City, who saw off Newport Isle of Wight 1-0 in another replay on Tuesday evening.