Concord Rangers vs Grays Athletic

BBC Essex Senior Cup
December 9, 2014
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report


ESSEX SENIOR CUP holders Concord Rangers required a second successive penalty shootout as they secured a place in the quarter-finals with victory over 2013 runners-up Grays Athletic at Thames Road.

Similarly to their round three triumph over Colchester United, the Beachboys scored all of their spot kicks to progress with a 5-4 shoot-out win.

The Vanarama Conference South side had entered that Colchester lottery on a high following a late comeback, but this time they had to recover from a last-gasp leveller from the away side.

Joao Carlos? angled drive levelled the tie for Ryman League Premier Division Grays in the final minute after Concord had led from the 28th minute when Lewis Taafe drilled a low effort beneath goalkeeper Connor Gough.

The equaliser was the least Grays? second-half efforts warranted having dominated the period for long spells. Ultimately they just ran out of steam in the shootout, with Freddie Ladapo – the hero of Colchester United?s 2010 success – the unfortunate man whose penalty, saved by young on-loan Arsenal ?keeper Josh Vickers, proved costly.

Concord had fired a couple of first-half warning shots as Mitchell Pinnock?s free kick dropped just over the top before the loanee Bromley man set-up Steve Cawley to fire inches wide. They took the lead four minutes after the half-hour through Cawley?s fine run which resulted in a cut-back to Taafe, who hit a firm shot between the legs of Gough.

Moments beyond the second half restart, Pinnock?s close-range angled shot brought a good stop from Gough but, despite a triple substitute from the home side, it was Grays who grabbed hold of the tie. Ladapo would?ve been disappointed to see his shot deflected inches wide following a hooked cross from Aaron Best prior to Odemie Oumake smashing marginally off-target from the edge of the box.

Ladapo then centred for Oumake to flick a deflected header just wide and the resulting Carlos corner saw Joseph Zerafa?s fierce shot blocked on the goal line by Danny Glozier. The ball was immediately recycled into the penalty area and, this time, only two blocks denied Ladapo.

That was a let-off for Concord. But, as the clock ticked into the final minute, Zerafa?s right-flank cross picked out Carlos, who drilled a low effort beyond Vickers into the far corner. The goal sent the game directly to penalties, and Concord were unfazed as they succeeded each time from twelve yards. Ladapo?s saved kick allowed Tony Stokes, just as he had in the previous round, to score the winning kick and send his side through.

Penalties: Grays – White (scored, 1-0), Concord – Glozier (scored, 1-1), Grays – Beaney (scored, 2-1), Concord – Ogilvie (scored, 2-2), Grays – Carlos (scored, 3-2), Concord – Woodyard (scored, 3-3), Grays – Ladapo (saved, 3-3), Concord – Cawley (scored, 3-4), Grays – Oumaka (scored, 4-4), Concord – Stokes (scored, 4-5).

Concord Rangers: Josh Vickers, Jeremy Walker, Danny Glozier, Alex Woodyard, Steve King, Jack Lampe, Joe Gardner (Tony Stokes, 63), Mitchell Pinnock (Gary Ogilvie, 63), Lewis Taafe (Sam Collins, 63), Taylor Miles, Steve Cawley. Unused Substitutes: James White, Matt Fry.

Grays Athletic: Connor Gough, Aaron Best, Joseph Zerafa, Jordon Wilson (Aaron Wickham, 73), Manny Parry, Jay Leader, Jordan Sanderson, Kenny Beaney, Obemie Oumaka, Freddie Ladapo, Joao Carlos. Unused Substitutes: Glen Little, Junior Lawrence, Akwasi Marfo, Jonah Gregory.

* Report and photograph kindly supplied by Essex County FA.


vs Goal