u12 LEAGUE CUP 2nd round


This was the rearranged fixture that was postponed last week due to waterlogged pitch, but AFC Woodham managed to find a suitable pitch that with a little TLC was playable.

Concord’s start to 2016 took a knock when in the final training session key defensive player Bailey R fractured his wrist and misses 4 weeks.. But the hot streak was ended at Horndon with a 4-2 defeat. Although Concord arguably had many chances to close the game out, some Christmas hangover in defence cost us the points.

However Concord’s confidence was put back in place with a dominant performance against Division B team AFC Woodham. The game saw Concord play some fantastic football but conditions were difficult underfoot at the far end where the goalmouth was heavy. Concord created several great chances finding a lot of space in centre midfield area to exploit, that culminated with Sam hitting the post and bar several times, and Nathan having some good chances too. But also some praise for the home keeper as he pulled off some great saves to keep the away attack at bay. However with some perseverance the team created a chance for Nathan who slotted a fine shot passed the keeper. 0-1 half time.

Second half Concord started off continuing the pressure creating chances. But the home side change the shape in the second half that cut a lot of free space out. But Concord kept pressing. From one of the attacks Romie was able to score a good goal to make it 0-2.. However a slight lapse in concentration allowed the home team to break away and score to make it 1-2 game on!!

However Concord weathered the storm and eventually Ellis broke out of midfield and managed to slot home from the edge of the box to make it 1-3. The threat from Woodham seemed to fade when BaileyP hit a long range shot that looped over the unlucky keeper and allowed Concord to march on the quarter finals.

This Sunday Concord are away at Chelmsford City Clarets in the Essex Cup lets hope they can mirror the 1st team result and go through the last 8.